Indian Super League to finally restart after months of uncertainty
SPORTS


After months of uncertainty — during which clubs struggled to pay players — the Indian Super League has finally set a restart date of February 14, following a roughly five-month delay from its originally scheduled September kickoff.
The delay stemmed from a breakdown in the league’s commercial partnership arrangements, leaving clubs without sponsorship support and unable to meet player payment obligations.
During the prolonged limbo, several foreign players moved on from the league as the season’s future remained unclear. The league had earlier indicated that overseas players should explore opportunities elsewhere while matters were being resolved.
Among those affected was Fijian international Roy Krishna, who later signed with Bula FC, where he has since been unveiled as the club’s marquee signing.
According to the Times of India, Fiji striker Roy Krishna, a previous winner of the ISL Golden Ball, decided to ply his trade in the Super League Kerala with Malappuram FC, and with no sign of the ISL kicking off, moved home, where he is with Bula FC.
“For the foreign players, we have provided them with an option that they are free to move if there are offers,” said NorthEast United CEO Mandar Tamhane. “Some of our foreign players are young and their futures are at stake. If they don’t play, it’s difficult to find offers (for next season).”
The upcoming ISL season will be shorter than usual and will not feature playoffs, as organisers look to stabilise the competition following the financial turmoil.
Meanwhile, FC Goa players, including India captain Sandesh Jhingan, and support staff accepted pay cuts for the truncated Indian Super League (ISL) season beginning February 14, the club said, terming their decision as a “selfless” act.
The Goan club said in a statement on ‘X’ that it had “honest and difficult conversations” with the players and support staff about the challenges ahead in view of the turmoil in Indian football.
“In a moment of real uncertainty for Indian football, our club had honest and difficult conversations about the challenges we are facing. What followed was something that made us incredibly proud,” the statement said.